- Professional consultant with 35+ years of healthcare consulting expertise.
- Demonstrated success in advising C-suite executives, including holding several positions as interim CEO.
- Specialist in population health issues, including value-based contracting; patient experience; building performance improvement into strategy.
Jim Callanan brings more than 35 years of healthcare consulting experience to Gibbins Advisors, with a successful track record of advising C-level executives in responding to healthcare industry disruption.
Assisting with strategy, performance improvement, mergers, new business planning, population health management, care delivery redesign and administrative business process improvement, Jim has a depth of experience in working with both payers and providers. He has also held several positions as interim CEO for organizations in turnaround or financially distressed situations.
Prior to joining Gibbins Advisors, Jim held senior leadership roles as Managing Director, Alvarez & Marsal HIG (11+years), Senior Partner, Deloitte Consulting (17+ years) and Director, Liberty Mutual Insurance (4+years). Additionally, he has managed and consequently sold two successful consulting practices.
A sample of significant engagements and achievements in James’s recent career history include:
• Strategic lead supporting a national insurance client to develop an Integrated Delivery System product. Integrated 4 regional HMO’s into a single company, established protocols for a region-wide physician network, revised corporate organization structure and improved EBITDA by $50 mm YTY.
• Led a multi-institutional transformation planning process for design and implementation of a system-wide Population Health Management process across 16 hospitals. Advised senior executives and physicians to define the strategic vision, identify business opportunities and implement the strategic plan which resulted in positive operational, clinical and financial outcomes.
• Developed a contract management design and implementation process for a multi-hospital system, resulting in improved long-term payer contracts including Medicare, Medicaid, and Commercial LOB. Achieved improved patient satisfaction scores and met financial targets.
• Advised on healthcare business strategy to develop a business plan for PPO/ACO new product entry into the insurance market. Affiliated Physician Group and Hospital Network product saw significant membership growth within provider panel, patients reported better satisfaction, and provider satisfaction improved due to gains sharing earned.
• Interim CEO for HMO, responsible for business strategy and financial turnaround for Plan with ~$250mm in revenues and 250,000 members in Medicare, Medicaid and commercial markets.
• Interim CEO for a State University-owned Urban Academic Medical Center, developing business strategy which improved patient process flow through hospital with significant Medicaid patients and increased cash position by $80 million.