- Career professional in healthcare management with emphasis on hospital operations and regional health system leadership.
- Proven success in development and implementation of market-based strategic and operation plans, including turnaround and post-merger integration of organizations.
Thomas Urban is a former hospital President and Chief Executive Officer with more than 30 years’ experience in healthcare leadership and management. He brings to Gibbins Advisors the accumulated expertise of his established career across all facets of regional hospital operations and health system leadership, including physician relations, turnaround and strategic planning.
During his 25-year career at Mercy Health, Tom led various growth and development initiatives that established Mercy Health – Fairfield Hospital as a leading healthcare provider in Butler County, Ohio. He served as President of Mercy Fairfield for 11 years, undertaking administrative responsibility for all aspects of this 250-bed community hospital with $230 million net operating revenue.
Prior to that, Tom spent six years as Senior Vice President, Catholic Health Partners (CHP) and President and CEO of the CHP – Southwest Ohio Region. Under his regional leadership of this six hospital, four long-term care facility network, the organization developed tertiary services at Mercy Health’s Anderson and Fairfield Hospitals, while he additionally provided oversight for the expansion and upgrading of services at Mercy Health – Clermont Hospital.
Tom currently plays a key role in Gibbins Advisors’ Independent Monitor team, responsible for ensuring HCA adheres to certain contractual commitments around retaining hospitals, services, and charity care relating to its $1.5 billion acquisition of Mission Health System’s six-hospital portfolio in North Carolina.
A sample of significant engagements and achievements in Thomas’s recent career history include:
• Regional Vice President & Chief Integration Officer of Mercy Health Partners. Undertook regional responsibility for strategic implementation of value-driven partnerships which serve to enhance the growth and development of the Mercy integrated delivery network in Greater Cincinnati.
• Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer at Beverly Hospital in Beverly, MA. Assisted in the acquisition of 140-bed municipal hospital located five miles from Beverly and transitioned the facility into an ambulatory care center offering ambulatory surgery, twenty-four-hour licensed emergency services, radiology, laboratory, cardio-pulmonary and rehabilitative services. First year gain from operations exceeded budget by 87%.
• Vice President of Professional Services & Program Development at Lee Memorial Health System in Ft. Myers, FL. Administratively responsible for Radiology, Clinical Laboratories, Pharmacy, Respiratory Therapy, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Pathology, Cardiovascular, Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, Endoscopy, Neurodiagnostic Lab, Wellness Center.